Recent research shows numerous benefits of Intermittent fasting on our body and brain. This fasting window (duration of fast) ranging from 12 to 24 hours helps in fat burning since there is an significant decrease in insulin levels in our blood stream. It helps to repair our body at cellular level and removes waste from our cells. Growth hormones can increase up to 5 folds if Intermittent fasting is done properly. Apart from these there are tons of benefits as shown in numerous studies.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern where a person cycle between periods of eating and fasting. There is a eating window and fasting window which depends on the type of fasting being done.
Types of Intermittent Fasting :
- Fast for 12 hours each day.
- Fast for 16 hours each day.
- 2 days in a week. (5:2 method)
- Alternate day fasting.
- Weekly 24 hour fast ( Eat-Stop-Eat).
- Meal skipping.
- Warrior diet (Extreme form of IF. Consuming a large meal after a 20 hour fast)
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting :
- Repairs and heals cells by removing waste on cellular level.
- Helps you lose weight and belly fat.
- Reduces insulin resistance (Lowers the risk of Type 2 Diabetes.)
- Reduces Oxidative stress and inflammation in the body.
- Beneficial for heart health.
- Growth hormones can increase up to 5 folds. (Higher levels of this hormone facilitate fat burning and muscle gain)
- May reverse aging to some extent and enhance longevity.
- Reduces risk of cancer.
- Good for brain.
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
These are some major benefits observed and many more are still unknown and research is going on to find more benefits. In some of these studies, the effects were quite dramatic. In one of them, rats that fasted every other day lived 83% longer than rats who didn’t fast. This fact is really an eye-opener.
Stay Fit Grow Strong!