Yes ,excess sugar in our diet causes numerous health problems and increases risk of many diseases.Processed and refined food items are the main culprits when it comes to excess sugar in our diet.Almost every packed and processed food items be it cereals,tomato ketchup,chocolate,beverages,etc. contains sugar that is way more than our daily recommendation. Research on rats has found that sugar is more addictive than opioid drugs such as cocaine.And the food industry is trying to take advantage of this fact by mixing sugar in everything.For example when you make tomato sauce/ketchup at home ,do you add sugar to it..No..right?But when you will look at the ingredients label at the back of your ketchup you bought from the supermarket you will know the truth.
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount added sugars you should eat in a day are :-
Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons)
Women: 100 calories per day(25 grams or 6 teaspoons)
Too much sugar intake can cause the following health problems :
- Increase risk of diabetes.(Obviously)
- Weight gain.
- Increase risk of heart disease.
- May increase acne.
- Increase risk of Cancer.
- Increase risk depression.
- Accelerate skin aging.
- Cellular aging.
- Drains energy.
- Fatty liver.
- Other health risks such as :- increase risk of kidney diseases,cavities,developing gout,cognitive decline etc.
- Start avoiding access sugars such as sweetened soda and other beverages and processed foods.
- Consume whole and unprocessed food as much as possible.
- Eat whole fruits instead of drinking juices.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages that are sweetened with soda,juice,honey,sugar or agave.
- Prefer Stevia as sweetener when needed.